The Word of God is clear. Jesus’s body was broken and striped – PAST TENSE – so we WERE healed (1 Peter 2:24).
Just as we receive salvation: “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,” (Ephesians 2:8) likewise we may receive healing for loved ones – including from birth defects like down syndrome.
I cannot express with words my passion for seeing the sick healed. I love reading and studying the Word about healing, books about it, and testimonies. Because Christ lives in me, I am full of His mercy and compassion towards the sick and all who are oppressed by the devil.
The Word is clear that ALL sickness is a work of the devil – this includes down syndrome – and I’m always for pointing others to the Word, not the opinions of man, so let’s get what’s important into this post – His Word.
“God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing ALL who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him,” (Acts 10:38).
Jesus says, “So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound—think of it—for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?” (Luke 13:16, regarding woman whom Jesus healed from a crippling disorder caused by a spirit of infirmity).
We must ask ourselves. How did ALL sickness – a form of death – enter the world? Through sin.
The original sin was THE door that opened and unleashed every form of death and destruction into the earth – sickness (physical and spiritual infirmities), murder, sins against children and the unborn, corruption and decay, evil, hatred, a way for the devil and demons to work and operate in the earth, etc.
“He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For THIS purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might DESTROY the works of the devil,” (1 John 3:8).
Therefore, sin and everything that entered the world because of it is of the devil.
“This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all,” (1 John 1:5).
“For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord (or agreement) has Christ with Belial?,” (2 Corinthians 6:14-16). NONE!
We must shine the truth of His Word on circumstances, sickness, etc. to make the His will clear.
And what does His Word say, “Sickness entered the world because of SIN, ALL sin is of the devil, and Jesus came to DESTROY the works of the devil.”
We can then validly and truthfully say using 1 John 3:8 once again, “For this purpose, the Son of God was manifested that He might destroy sickness because it’s a work of the devil.”
His Word makes the author of sickness and the Author of healing clear…
“The thief [the devil] does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly,” (John 10:10).
I was so moved to write about this today because my heart broke reading the words of a mama who had specifically asked family and friends to pray for her child’s “total healing from down syndrome,” and was so hurt and let down by their responses.
And boy did I also get MAD at the devil and the demonic religious (pharisaical) spirits working through those people to attack this precious mother.
When she looked up all the symptoms and effects that DS has on children, none of them could be described as a blessing in light of God’s Word.
Instead of the mercy and compassion of Christ from these family and “friends,” she received responses such as:
- We will pray “If it be God’s will,” which I refer to as “The MOST Unscriptural Way to Pray for Healing. EVER! Don’t Allow the Devil to Get You to Deny the Blood of Jesus Christ.”
- “Appalled that she’d even ask for anyone to pray for a child with down syndrome to be healed because they believed this sickness was a blessing from God.”
- They’d be “willing to pray for God to heal her son’s organs damaged by down syndrome but not for God to heal his DNA.” Jesus. Help. Me!!!
- Never responded to her prayer request at all.
This is the result of the much of the church being influenced by demonic religious spirits (like the ones inspiring the Pharisees who also hated seeing people get well) and the traditions of man (e.g. man-made denominations that write their own extra/unbiblical beliefs; churches who exalt the “doctrines” of physicians and health care workers’ reports above God’s).
The Word is clear that satan has attacked your child’s DNA and caused this disorder. NOT God!
How? Jesus teaches us in His Word that the spiritual affects the physical – YES – our physical bodies.
Let’s read Luke 13:10-17 for an example…
Now He (Jesus) was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11 And behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up.
But when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him and said to her, “Woman, you are loosed from your infirmity.” And He laid His hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
14 But the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath; and he said to the crowd, “There are six days on which men ought to work; therefore come and be healed on them, and not on the Sabbath day.”
15 The Lord then answered him and said, “Hypocrite! Does not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or donkey from the stall, and lead it away to water it? 16 So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound—think of it—for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?” 17 And when He said these things, all His adversaries were put to shame; and all the multitude rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by Him. [end]
What do we see in the passage we just read?
- A spirit of infirmity afflicted her for 18 years and caused her body to be bent over so badly she could not raise herself up. The Word is clear: The spiritual has the ability to affect the natural. In this case, a spirit of infirmity caused her crippling conditions.
- Thus, what is spiritual – some spirit of infirmity – has attacked and afflicted the DNA of a child with down syndrome. The spiritual affects the physical – including DNA. If a spirit of infirmity can bend and contort a woman’s body for 18 years (and she would have stayed that way with out Jesus), of course satan can afflict a child’s DNA and chromosomes.
- Jesus called her to Him and initiated her healing. It’s no different today. Right now, He has an open invitation for everyone who needs healing to receive His broken and striped body and shed blood as payment in full for their healing. And He healed her! He’s calling you over, mama and papa, to receive your child’s healing by faith.
- We see the religious minded who loved and cared for their traditions and places in society above the cruel and tormenting suffering of another human being. We can observe the same today in many churches who teach against healing. Can you imagine? People who call themselves His followers yet are totally devoid of the mercy and compassion of Christ towards those bound by satan (even calling the works of the devil a blessing).
- Whom did Jesus rebuke? We know the answer. I assure you, He feels the same today towards those who act likewise and preach against His atoning sacrifice for healing for all.
You can read throughout the gospels that spirits of infirmity have the ability to cause physical sicknesses and damaging changes to a person’s body. One example is in Matthew 9.
But at the same time, Jesus doesn’t want us to be demon focused or cause of sickness focused. I only pointed all of the above out, so you can know that DS is not God’s will and where it came from.
Whether a sickness is physical, spiritual or both, it’s the same power that heals a person. Meaning, it no longer matters the type of sickness the person has but that we can speak and pray the Word in Jesus name and command sickness to go and His life and health to come in.
Stand on the Word of God as the greater truth than what is seen and pray for healing as Jesus did. Find verses in the gospels that speak to you and pray as Jesus did. Because if you are in Christ, then the full power of God lives inside of YOU.
Renew your mind with the Word of God so it chokes out every lie the world has sown into you.
Two ministries I know of who believe rightly that healing is included in the atonement for all and who won’t magnify a diagnosis like DS above the Word of God are:
Call them and join your faith with theirs. But again most importantly, allow your mind to be renewed by the Word of God because He wants to use you to not only heal your child in His name but others who are oppressed by the devil as well.
Pray He connects you with other parents also believing for their child’s healing even if the child is still in the womb and has received this diagnosis.
You can email me using my contact page, and I’d be honored to stand in agreement with God’s Word for your child.
P.S. I believe satan has attacked our DNA both spiritually and physically since the fall in 100’s even 1000’s of ways. Damaging changes which have been passed from generation to generation only being healed through prayers of faith and praying His will be done on earth as it is in heaven for our unborn children, etc. I need to do a post on this as well.