Are you in anguish over a prodigal son or daughter? Far from the Lord in his/her heart? Maybe far from home as well? Even boasting in his/her sins and sinful lifestyle?
There’s nothing like a heart broken over a child. One who is far away from God, choosing destruction over blessings. Unable to do anything in your strength to change him/her. Know your good Father loves him/her more than you do. Look to Him and the promises in His Word you can stand on. There’s no pit too dark or deep that the Lord’s mighty right hand cannot pull your child from in an instant and into the Light.
The enemy’s goal is the defeat of you and your loved ones. How? He keeps your eyes on the situation and off Jesus’ Word, might, and power. Don’t fall for that snake’s traps to get you to magnify what you see above the Word of God. It may look hopeless. Like your son or daughter may never turn to or back to the Lord. Oh, but your prayers of faith as a momma or papa in Christ are powerful and mighty for the pulling down of strongholds in your child’s life.
Powerful Testimony of Answered Prayer
Without violating this loved one’s (LO) privacy with the details, I was in a situation where LO boasted repeatedly about a sin. LO stated how they loved this sin and would never stop it.
At first, I responded in anger, got short with LO, and behaved in unloving ways towards them. This happened for months until I wised up and handed the entire situation over to the Lord (with His leading and help).
Yes, I prayed during that time but hadn’t cast my care upon Him about it. Evidence being continued anger towards LO every time I saw the sin. The weight of it so oppressive, it felt like death. Because it was not for me to carry. But God’s.
From the beginning, I should have directed my anger at satan. The one who had LO captive. Engaged in spiritual warfare on LO’s behalf while loving them as Jesus would. Not condoning the sin of course.
Before I did it God’s way, I lost my peace trying to convince LO to turn from their ways. My words fell only on deaf ears each time. Even worse, because I couldn’t “keep my mouth off of” LO about it, the enemy used LO to repeatedly taunt me saying, “I love this sin. I will never stop it.” In my agony, Holy Spirit said, “That’s the enemy using him to taunt you. Don’t take the bait. Ignore it, love LO, and use your authority.” Those were the words He used to shake me awake and give it to Him. I was ticked! But this time my anger redirected towards the devil.
When anger towards LO tried to creep in again, I humbled myself under His mighty hand, resisted the devil, and he fled from me. The enemy will often use others, especially those you love most, to taunt and hurt you. His goal: division, anger, and arguments. Then ultimately utter destruction of the relationship. Don’t fall for those traps.
To be continued…
What the Lord Equipped Me With So I Could Battle His Way
So, I shut my mouth, opened my ears, and listened to the Lord. He reminded me that:
- People are, “hardened through the deceitfulness of sin,” (Hebrews 3:13).
- The minds of people in sin and the lost are, “blinded by satan,” in some way, and “the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ” is unable to shine on them. (2 Corinthians 4:4).
- My fight was not against LO but directly against the devil and the powers of darkness. This helped me love LO and solely direct my anger where it belonged – satan. “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places,” (Ephesians 6:12).
- I needed to use my blood-bought authority. “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,” (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).
- I needed to stay laser-focused on Jesus and His Word no matter what I saw or heard. Let Him be the Author and Finisher of my faith (Hebrews 12:2). Not the enemy who only seeks to kill, steal, and destroy – including the Word from our hearts (Matthew 13:18-23).
- Again. The entire battle is a spiritual one. “Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain; and he shall bring out the top stone amid shouts of ‘Grace, grace to it!’” (Zechariah 4:6-7)
- I needed to see LO through Jesus’ eyes. In the gospels, we see Him moved with compassion towards sinners and those afflicted with sickness and disease. Why? He saw them with both natural and spiritual eyes. See your child like Jesus sees him/her. In chains. A captive of satan. Mind blinded by that snake. Ears deaf to His truth. In darkness. The Light of the gospel unable to shine on him/her. Except by your fervent prayers and spiritual warfare. When the Lord caused me to see LO in chains, mind blinded and wrapped in a demonic prison, I could only be moved with love, mercy, and compassion for LO. All my anger towards LO. Gone. All my anger about how LO’s sin also hurt me. Gone.
With these words sown deeply in my heart, a love like Jesus’ burned for LO which fueled my fervent, effective prayers as well as my rage towards the powers of darkness.
The Joy of Answered Prayer
Suddenly! After over four years of praying, LO’s eyes opened. Seemingly out of nowhere. LO not only stopped the grievous sin. LO hated it. Couldn’t believe they ever did it. Never wanted to do it again. Clearly saw the problems and consequences it caused. Hasn’t done it since. Through prayer and spiritual warfare, this battle was officially won through Jesus Christ our Victory!
Hallelujah! He deserves more praise: I praise You, Lord. I praise Your Holy name. You are worthy to receive all glory and honor. I love You. Thank You for this victory.
What happened? In the spirit realm, demonic strongholds were pulled down, broken off LO’s mind, and destroyed. Whatever satan used to keep LO blinded and captive was removed through Word-based prayer and warfare in Jesus’ name. Then LO saw the sin as it was and chose life. Praise God! All based on the finished work of the cross two-thousand years ago. He already won victory over that sin, but I had to do my part and pray and believe in order to receive it. Yes, it took time, but I never gave up. You shouldn’t either.
A Prayer for Your Prodigal Child
Father, thank You for Your powerful Word, name, and blood I can use to destroy the works of the devil in the earth as Your co-laborer and joint-heir. Including for my child.
I rebuke the devil and pull down every stronghold, trap, deception, and confusion that thief is using against [child’s name]. I command his/her blinded mind to be set free in the name of Jesus. That the light of the gospel of Jesus Christ may shine on him/her in its fulness. That he/she may see sin as You see it, so he/she turns from it and towards You.
I stand in the gap for [child’s name] and pull down strongholds, casting down arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. And bring every thought, every lie of satan, into captivity to the obedience of Christ.
Your Word says the deceitfulness of sin hardens people, so, I pray You take away [child’s name]’s stony heart and give him/her a heart of flesh that it receive You and become Your dwelling place.
I speak to every sin [name sins] and say: What are you, O great mountain? You shall become a plain and be no more in [child’s name]’s life in the name of Jesus.
O God, I thank You for Your mighty Word and for the great victories in [child’s name]’s life I will see happen before my eyes.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Important Closing Thoughts to Encourage You to Not Give Up
The Lord also reminds me to say to you. You are in a war for your child. Not merely a battle. A war is made of multiple battles. I don’t know how long the war will be on behalf of your child, but don’t focus on time and lose heart. Pray and use love as warfare and win your child over to the Lord one battle at a time. Praise Him and thank Him for every battle you win no matter how big or small. Thank Him in advance for winning the war for your child. Those who are for you are greater than those who are against you and your child. Only believe!
Focus on the Good Shepherd, Jesus, who is seeking after your child day and night. Because of your relentless, faith-filled prayers, the Lord is pursuing him/her at every turn because it is His will that none perish but that all come to the knowledge of His love and saving grace. He desires that your child fulfill all the purposes and plans He has for him/her.
Fear not. Faint not. Don’t lose heart. Eyes on the One whose name is Faithful and True. I love you. God loves you and is on the case.
If you’d like me to pray in agreement with you for your child, please use my Contact page on the navigation Menu above, and send me your request. It would be an honor to pray for him/her.